About the Barnes
The Barnes Foundation, established in 1922, promotes appreciation of the arts and horticultural science, through the preservation, presentation, and interpretation of the collections of Albert C. and Laura L. Barnes. The Barnes Foundation’s art collection includes works by some of the greatest European and American masters of impressionism, post-impressionist, and early modern art, as well as African sculpture, Pennsylvania German decorative arts, Native American textiles, metalwork, and more. Located since 2012 on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway (aka, “Museum Mile”), the Barnes Foundation is home to 181 paintings by Renoir, making it the world’s largest single collection of paintings by the artist. Significant holdings of works by Cézanne, Matisse, Picasso, Van Gogh, Seurat, Monet, Manet, Soutine and Glackens bring in over 250,000 visitors a year.
The Barnes Shop is well-regarded as one of the top ten most profitable stores at an art museum in North America. Visitors can purchase high-quality reproductions of masterpieces from the collection, books, and hand-made gifts, jewelry and accessories from local, regional, national, and international artists. In addition to the main shop on the lower level of the Parkway location, the Barnes Shop also creates pop-up shops for special events, and the shop at the Welcome Center at the Barnes Arboretum in Merion, PA.
April, 2012 – June, 2015
As supervisor of the shop’s Sales Associates at the Barnes Foundation, I coordinate a professional team of part-time and full-time sales associates dedicated to providing our guests with an excellent level of service, and great attention to detail. My goal is to provide our visitors the highest level of service while also serving the educational mission of the foundation, and meeting sales goals.
My duties on the sales floor include overseeing all aspects of operations, including customer service, opening and closing, checkout/cash handling, inventory management/re-stocking, and designing and maintaining all visual merchandising displays.
Behind the scenes, I use my graphic design and product development skills to create new Barnes-branded products, labeling and signage in keeping with the visual standards already established. My duties have grown to include purchasing and vendor-relation management with respect to Barnes-branded products, paper goods and artisan categories (which include more than 60 individual artisan vendors, across all categories of the store.) I also coordinate half-day intensive staff training sessions at least twice a year.
June, 2015 – Present
Since my promotion to Assistant Manager of the Barnes Shop in the summer of 2015, my duties have expanded to include all responsibilities for hiring, training, and scheduling part-time Sales Associates, as well as a full-time Shop Floor Supervisor, while maintaining responsibilities I performed as Floor Supervisor. In addition, I am a key player in creating a new program for all Barnes staff for Guest Experience training.
- Designed series of 30 printed Product Information tags
- Barnes Mint Tins product development and package design
- Created Barnes Jeopardy! interactive game for staff training (link)
- Product photography and fashion photography (link)
- Author of articles posted to the Barnes blog (links: 1, 2, 3)
- Barnes Foundation Learning Culture Committee, 2012-2013
- Barnes Foundation Steering Committee, 2014-Present
- Became a buyer in 2013 (Branded, Paper, and Artisinal goods)
- Expanded into all other buying categories in 2015
- Ensemble Scribble Tee
- Suite of products in conjunction with the temporary special exhibit, Strength and Splendor: Wrought Iron from the Musée Le Secq des Tournelles, Rouen (links: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
- Graphic design for labels, annual Barnes Honey
- Custom porcelain by artist Nicole Aquillano
- Custom leather-wrapped flasks featuring design of ironwork (link)
- Barnes Foundation ironwork temporary tattoos (link)
- Set of six miniature wooden puzzles featuring Renoir artwork (link)
- Museum Store Association, member, 2018 conference presenter
- American Alliance of Museums, member
- Visitor Experience Group, board member/marketing committee 2015-2016